Work2Go 2011-07: Sync your Work2Go account
25 October 2011
You're not always at your desk in the office and when you leave the office, you rarely leave your best friend, your mobile, behind. Mobiles have become more or less as an extension of your computer. You can surf, email and do so much more than just making calls these days. Among the perhaps most widely used tools in a mobile, at least when it comes to work, is probably your Email and Calendar. Two essential tools that will remember whatever you might forget and help you to communicate with colleagues and clients around the world. If you sync your account, you can actually think of your mobile as an extended arm of those tools. When you leave your workplace, you bring along your Email and Calendar wherever you are. When you get back to work again, all the work that you did on the field is already synced to your computer.
I'm writing about syncing to mobiles now, but it works exactly the same with tablets. The technology behind this is called ActiveSync. A software for communication between different devices, including computers, mobiles and tablets. The smartest thing with syncing is that it works both ways - changes you add on your mobile is synced to your account on your computer/browser and vice versa. And would you loose your mobile, you don't need to worry about information getting into the wrong hands. With just a click you can delete all the content of your mobile.
Tips & tricks while syncing
- Set the Exchange Calendar as your default Calendar. If you add something to the Calendar that came with your mobile, it won't be synced to your Work2Go account, because that is a separate Calendar.
- The same applies to the Address Book. If you want to sync your new Contact, you must add it to the Address Books you have on your Exchange account.
- If you keep a lot of appointments in your Calendar you should choose to sync less days. A Calendar with 200 posts may have problems.
- The same applies to Emails. Only sync emails from folders that you need to avoid unnecessary traffic.
- If you want to optimize your mobile's battery performance, you can select manual sync or sync with a longer time interval. With manual syncing, information will only be synced when the tools are in use.
- Make sure you have Push notifications enabled if you want to be notified when something new have been synced to your account.
Syncing with Outlook
As I mentioned in a previous email (2011-05 Outlook Connector) you can also sync your account to Outlook. For this you need a Work2Go Pro account (because the sync feature is only available in Work2Go Pro), Outlook 2003 or later. You also need to install an Outlook Connector to your computer.
Now you can sync even more Work2Go features. It's not just your Emails, Contacts and Calendars that will be synced, but also your tags, your auto-reply message, filters and personas. You can also access shared folders in you Mail, Address Book, Calendar and Tasks.
Next time I intend to take a closer look at useful features while sending emails. There is actually a lot of things you can do, that you might not think of until someone tells you about it. So why not focus on just that feature that most of you are already using the most?! Until then, have a Happy Halloween or a nice All Saint's Day, or just enjoy the nice bits that autumn brings along, such as beautiful colors, fresh air, candles, bonfires and steaming hot baths.
My link tips