Work2Go 2011-08: Email tips & tricks
20 December 2011
There are many features you can use while handling your emails in Work2Go. I'll go through a bunch today. You can easily find the various functions on your own, by clicking around in your account. But sometimes it's easier to just be informed and not worry about finding out things for yourself, right?! That's why I'll give you some more tips and tricks again, but only focus on emails this time.
The appearance matters as well
You're aware of that you have different view options to choose between by clicking View in the toolbar, right?
- Reading Pane on the right - typical Outlook style.
- Reading Pane at the bottom/off - now you can sort your mails according to its date, sender, attachments, subject or size.
- Sort emails by messages (keep each email individually in a list) or by conversation (several emails with the same subject merged into one post).
- The theme/background colors can also be changed. To do this, click the Preferences tab > General and find Theme under the title Login Options.
Create filters to automate incoming emails
By creating filters, you will become more efficient taking care of all the information sent to you and have more time over for other tasks. With filters you can for example
- sort your incoming emails into different folders,
- forward incoming emails to another address or
- mark them with labels, flags, etc, all automatically.
Handling emails without logging in to the account
- You can send copies of messages you receive to another email address. This is a convenient option when you want someone else to take care of your incoming emails for a limited period.
- If the person also need access to old emails, you share your Inbox instead.
- If you want someone to be notified whenever you receive an email, but not receive the email itself, you can arrange this as well.
- Create a persona to use when replying on emails in a shared Inbox.
- If you're not the only one handling emails in a shared Inbox, it's a good idea to create sub-folders that you drag and drop emails to. To easily see what have been answered and what is still left to do.
Clean up your Inbox
Follow these steps for the safest way to delete emails with large attachments.
- The view option of your Inbox should be Reading Pane at the bottom/off.
- Click on Size at the top of the toolbar to sort emails by size.
- Select the messages you want to delete. (You can use the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+click and Shift+click in Work2Go.)
If you DO NOT want to empty the entire Trash at once, you can mark the messages you want to delete now and then click Delete in the toolbar (or right click and choose Delete).
Searching for emails
Use the view option Reading Pane at the bottom/off and sort mail based on the relevant option or use the search function at the top of the page.
If you want to send a lot of pictures to anyone or high resolution images of several MB, it may be easier if you save them in a folder in your Portfolio instead. Then just send the link to the Portfolio to the ones you want to show your photos to. Even though you can send emails with large attachments of several MB's, it's not certain that your recipient can receive large emails.
If you want to upload multiple files/folders to your Portfolio at the same time, you can set up a WebDAV connection to your Portfolio, using your computer's file manager.
Please feel free to use any of the mentioned tips and send some nice Christmas or New Year's greetings now. See you again next year. Until then I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
My link tips
» Preferences for emails
» Using filters
» Make your Inbox more efficient
» Share an email folder
» Create a persona/additional accounts
» Send emails from a shared Inbox
» Clean & delete in your Inbox
» Find a certain email
» Email pictures
» Upload multiple files via WebDAV